Are you worried about your kid’s eating habits? You might be in tension that the kid is overeating or eating quite less? You must take care of healthy eating habits for kids. The appetite of children changes every day. Just make sure that they are taking healthy food.
Healthy eating habits will help to maintain normal growth and healthy weight. The eating habits learned by kids in childhood helps to maintain healthy eating habits in adulthood. You can manage the intake of sugar & fat and portion consumed.
You must encourage less consumption of fat in his/her diet. You can encourage serving such as lean meat, healthy snacks like veggies and fruits, low fat dairy products, and whole grain cereals and bread. We are also discussing certain tips that will help to maintain healthy eating habits for kids.
Tips for Healthy Eating Habits for Kids
- Provide choices
You must provide choices for healthy foods. It will help your kids to make food items from healthy options available in the house. Don’t keep unhealthy food such as soda, juice, and chips.
- Teach your kid to eat slowly
The kid is able to know about empty stomach or fullness if the food is eaten slowly. Teach them to wait at least 15 minutes to analyze if they are still hungry after the first serving of food. Also, if they still feel hungry then give a small second serving. Serve more veggies in their food.
- Eat food with your kids
You must take the time to eat food with your kids. Make mealtime pleasant with sharing and conversation. If the meal is unpleasant then the kids tend to eat faster. They also start to link eating with stress.
- Involve them in preparing meals
Get them involved in shopping food and preparing meals. In this way, you can understand their food preferences and teach them about nutrition. The children will be happy to eat foods which they help to prepare.
- Planning for smacks
Continuous snacking results in overeating. You can plan nutritious snacks without spoiling their appetite. Make snacks healthy and don’t deprive them of cookies or chips. Allow them to eat junk food occasionally at parties.
- Set goals
You must restrict soda and desserts during weekends. Also, make sure that the kids are hydrated the entire day.
- Discourage eating when TV is on
You must discourage them to eat when TV is on. Make them learn to eat meals or snacks in kitchen or dining room. Eating meal or snacks while watching TV may lead to overeating. The kids don’t understand the feeling of fullness.
- Encourage to take more water
If soda and sweetened drinks are consumed more that it leads to obesity on children. So, encourage them to consume more water.
- Don’t use food to reward or punish your kids
If you hold food as a punishment then kids start to get worried if they will get sufficient food. If you send them to bed without dinner then the food make them worried about their appetite. So, they eat food whenever they get chance. If you will use food especially sweet as reward then they start to think that sweets as better food. You must not convey the message that they will get sweet if they eat vegetables.
- Ensure that meals are balanced
You must get details that how your kid is eating food during lunch. You must ensure that you are packing a balanced meal with a healthy diet. Also, you must make them learn to select healthy food items at hotels and restaurants.
- Focus on ingredients and portion size
You must carefully read food labels. The foods containing trans-fat must be limited. You must serve the right portion as per instructions on the label.
Good Eating Habits For Your Kids
You might be worried that is your child undereating or overeating? So, first of all you have to make sure that how active he/she is. Then you must analyze why he/she is over or undereating. Also, monitor eating habits for kids.
You must try few tips if you find that your child is overeating
- Provide a small portion of food. If he finishes it, then provide a small second portion. This approach will help to make a connection between a kid’s brain and tummy.
- If your kid does not eat veggies then it is his choice. You must not offer extra serves of healthy food.
- You must serve him food on a small plate. He will get the right portion of the meal but the full plate.
- Teach them to avoid distractions of toys and TV at the tie of the meal. This practice will help them to focus on their appetite.
If you have analyzed that your kid is not eating enough food and remains hungry then you can follow certain tips.
- You can provide food at the same time every day. If your kid eats the same time then they will hungry at the same time each day.
- Encourage him/her to eat more during meals. And serve small amounts during snacks. He needs small healthy regular meals and snacks. But avoid serving too many heavy snacks as it can fill their stomach during the meal.
- Don’t provide alternatives if he/she is not eating a meal. He may have a small appetite at that time.
Encourage Healthy Eating Habits in Your Kids
You must encourage healthy and nutritious diet in your kids. You must instill healthy food choices in them
- You must provide a full bowl of fresh fruits. Provide fruits and veggies as a snack if your child is hungry between meals.
- You must stock your fridge and pantry with nutritious and healthy food options.
- Select veggies and fruits of different colors, tastes, and textures. If you have more variety of food in the house then the child will find interesting things to eat.
- If your child will get involved in shopping food items and preparing meal then he /she will eat food.
- Also, enjoy healthy meals with your family. Also, eat breakfasts, lunch, and dinner together. Also, eat food with your family on weekends.
- You must keep TV switched off while eating food. The child will pay attention to eating healthy, good, and nutritious food.
- Also, encourage your child to read books on healthy eating habits. You must give them a colorful book with pictures of vegetables and fruits.
So, if you want to instill healthy eating habits for kids then you must follow above-mentioned tips. The tips will help you to control the eating habits of your child. You can easily manage his eating patterns and habits right from childhood.
If you will make them learn right and healthy eating habits from childhood then they will follow them in adulthood as well. Also, limit fat and carbohydrate intake. You must not allow fried foods in the diet. But you can encourage grilling, boiling, roasting and steaming of food items.
Make a regular timetable of the meal plan. It will help them to eat on a regular basis. Their body will become adaptable to a particular timetable. Don’t use foods as a reward. But instead you can give them a hug, kiss, or praise. Just follow these tips and instill healthy eating habits in them.